Aspen Medical Group has been asked by the Commonwealth Government to establish an emergency interim staffing capability to assist Aged Care Services (Residential and In the Home) where the usual workforce has been impacted by the 2020 COVID19 outbreak. We have established this position description to describe one of the roles we will use to deploy that response. In the ideal world, many of these roles would require previous experience and/or formal training in the Aged Care sector. Given the urgency of the current situation, and given this is an emergency measure, we have relaxed some of those requirements, choosing instead to focus on the basic, core skills required (e.g. cooks need to be experienced, competent and qualified commercial cooks), and have relaxed some requirements about previous aged care experience and/or qualifications.
All deployments MUST be approached on a ‘Safety First’ basis, including strict adherence to infection control protocols.
Under these programs, staff will be deployed to assist Aged Care Services, sometimes in remote locations, and it is essential that deployed staff will be able to learn and adapt and assist in the provision of safe, effective interim care to the elderly consumers in what may be a complex, fast changing environment.
1. Position Overview
The Enrolled Nurse is responsible for providing personal care for aged care consumers in accordance with the care plan developed in collaboration with the consumers, their medical officer and other members of the health care team. Working under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse, the Enrolled Nurse is responsible for the delivery of clinical care to Residents in accordance with applicable professional standards, legislation, Facility Policies and Procedures and in accordance with relevant Laws
The Enrolled Nurse’s responsibilities may include monitoring and communicating consumer condition, assisting with personal hygiene, providing meals and other health and wellness related activities. The Enrolled Nurse will demonstrate a commitment to best practice care, ensure that all care is provided in a caring and respectful way in accordance with the policy and procedures of the Service to which they are deployed
2. Key Outcomes
A good outcome from a deployment would be:
• Residents receive safe, effective and compassionate care, and disruption resulting form the COVID19 outbreak is minimised;
• Infection control is effectively managed and further spread of COVID19 is avoided;
• The Enrolled Nurse works alongside of and supports other members of the workforce, and the care team, to ensure that care is delivered within scope of practice, is evidence based and is safe and high quality; and
• Effective relationships are developed with residents, their families or carers and members of the health care team.
3. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Diligently apply stipulated infection control measures and strategies.
• Maintain and enhance the dignity, integrity, rights and confidentiality of consumers.
• Understand, and adhere to the guidelines, principles, policies and protocols, OH&S policies and work practices of the Facility or Service you are deployed to.
• Comply with and maintain all privacy legislation requirements and relevant confidentiality policies when communicating information pertaining to consumers, team members and the operations of the facility.
• Comply with the facilities standards regarding client and resident documentation.
• Report any unsafe situations/incidents (including ‘near misses’) according to the OHS reporting procedures of Aspen and the aged care service at which you are working.
• Administer medications by approved routes, in accordance with legislative requirements under the direct and indirect supervision of a Registered Nurse.
• Manage patients in accordance with approved policies and procedures.
• Take care for your own health and safety and that of others in the workplace.
• Checking and ensuring that all medical equipment is serviceable prior to use.
• Compilation of appropriate nursing care notes, in accordance with Facility policy and procedures.
4. Selection Criteria
• Current eligibility to work in Australia.
• Compassion and a commitment to providing continuity of care to elderly residents impacted by the COVID19 outbreak.
• Flexibility – preparedness to learn on the job and work in a fast-evolving environment.
• Commitment to personal safety, and the safety of consumers and all other stakeholders.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and discretion.
• Experience working in the Aged Care Industry would be an advantage.
Certificates, licences and registrations:
• Current police and Working with Vulnerable People checks OR preparedness to apply for same prior to commencing duty.
• Enrolled Nurse Certificate or Certificate IV in Health (Enrolled Nursing) and current unconditional registration with AHPRA
• If enrolled nurse registered prior to 2008, must have a Board approved qualification in administration medication course. Post 2008, this is incorporated into Health Training Package for AHPRA registration. Medication administration does not extend to intravenous, intrathecal or epidural routes
• Current basic life support qualification
• Completion of the Australian Government’s on-line “Infection Control Training COVID19” module and other modules as required by Aspen.
• Minimum of 2 years post registration acute nursing experience with demonstrated recency of practice in one or more of the following clinical specialities; medical, surgical, accident & emergency or high dependency;