Fracture Management Course – Cairns
This is the only fracture management course endorsed by the Australian Orthopaedic Association. This course is designed for postgraduate healthcare professionals working in health facilities such as emergency departments, primary care, casting clinics, specialist rooms and in rural and remote settings. Applicants may hold a medical, nursing or allied health qualification.
Modules covered in the course include:
- Emergency management: initial immobilisation, pain relief, managing shock
- Primary care: assessment & treatment plan
- Investigations:x-ray, ultrasound, CT & MRI
- Diagnosis, management and referral
- Splinting, casting, immobilisation, management of problems and complications
- Post cast application management
- Patient education: cast management, Plaster of Paris (POP) check
- Follow-up care: appointments
- Cast removal & aftercare
Course structure involves distance-based online learning combined with a one-day face-to-face clinical skills workshop.